Thread: Install linux on external hard drive or dual boot

Install linux on external hard drive or dual boot

I am in info faculty and arrive what should happen sooner or later I will go under linux to work. But I hesitate between installing linux on my pc (I'm afraid it will make it row already that it's not a thunderbolt) or on an external hard drive (a 500 GB PS4 disc that I have recovered and formatted). I read the documentation of ubuntu and it advises not to install it on a large external hard drive because it could burn out components with wear. What do you recommend ??
    Thank you beforehand

Unless your machine is very weak, no reason for Linux to row it.
    In the case of a dual boot installation, check that you have enough space on the hard drive.
    By cons installation on an external drive may indeed slow down the operation (the argument of "grilling components seems implausible)
    Choose the Linux distribution to install and especially the desktop environment (Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce ...) I tend to advise XFCE for its ease, speed and the fact that it requires quite a few resources.
    Ubuntu is a good solution, but also look at Debian Facile or Linux Mint which are very easy. to apprehend.